top bar

May 26, 2009

Week Eight.

This weekend I made my container garden for my vegetables!
container vegetable gardenHere is how I made it:
1. I purchased three 18 gallon plastic storage containers.
2. Drill a number of holes in the bottom for drainage. I made 18 holes using a 3/4 inch drill bit. - picture.
3. To keep the dirt from going through the large holes, I put a sheet of landscaping/weed blocking fabric in the bottom. - picture.
4. Fill container with soil and add plants. I also added some SoilMoist throughout the container to help retain moisture.

I planted three of each type of my tomatoes (big boy, supersweet 100s, yellow pear), some baby carrots, and some different types of lettuces!

When I went to take pictures of the vegetable garden yesterday afternoon I noticed that two of my big boys and all of my supersweet 100s were gone. I think Arlo isn't very fond of the location of the garden, off the side of the deck, and
my little tomato plants became casualties when he jumped off the deck to go bark at the cats. I was able to find one buried big boy and 2 buried supersweets. I may be looking for a new location for the garden so the plants stand a chance at survival.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! I've been searching for things I can use for a container garden without having to buy materials. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: To get a faster response avoid commenting as "Anonymous". Your message is less likely to be overlooked as spam if you enter a name!